Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day

As I toted my two grandsons from booth to booth at an Earth Day celebration in Westhampton yesterday, we encountered this Great Horned Owl, named Hooter, courtesy of the Quogue Wildlife Rescue. Clinging to a wooden perch, he was hanging out in broad daylight for all to see his topaz eyes, feathery ears and camouflage coat. 
Fortunately, I had stuffed my camera in the diaper bag, so I grabbed it and moved up close. Swiveling his head around 180 degrees, I waited until he faced me eye to eye and started shooting. 
At first, the images were quite formal, the typical bird portrait you might see on a nature calendar. But after a while, perhaps 15 frames, it seemed that Hooter relaxed and became more comfortable with me, that we developed a repoire.  It seems that birds of a feather do flock together...
To read a personal reflection on Hooter go to Wisdom on Recovery Thru My Lens.

4 comments:

  1. Love Hooter! He's a love and this is a great capture:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob, the color was indeed mesmerizing; I
    couldn't take my eyes off them...

    ReplyDelete